Aberdeen City HER - NJ90NW0006 - CARMELITE FRIARY

Print site NJ90NW0006 Feedback on site NJ90NW0006

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ90NW0006
NameCARMELITE FRIARY
NRHE Card No.NJ90NW49
NRHE Numlink 20171
HES SM No.
HES LB No.
Site Form Documentary Record Only
Site Condition Destroyed
Details Site of a Carmelite friary which was founded circa 1273 and destroyed at the time of the Reformation. By circa 1647 only a single vault, which was known as the 'Friar's Kiln' remained. A watching brief carried out by Aberdeen Archaeology Unit in 1977 at 2-12 Rennie's Wynd (NJ90NW0236) during construction of an extension to Littlewoods suggested that the site had been tidal until the late medieval period: subsequent land reclamation was evident. A number of excavations have been carried out between 1980 and 1994. Excavation June 1980-April 1981 at 12 Martin's Lane (NJ90NW0107). Excavation was carried out in 1986 following demolition of 19-25 Hadden Street (NJ90NW0299). Excavation by the Aberdeen City Unit in 1994 (NJ90NW0278) at The Green uncovered the northwest corner of the church. The remains included chamfered sandstone buttress bases, a doorway and a north wall with some surviving moulding, possibly of 14th century date. Inside the church were nearly 60 skeletons in graves cut through various floor levels. A cobbled area to the north was also cut through by burials. Pre-friary plough marks were also identified. A line of large postholes running parallel to the north wall of the church may belong to an earlier wooden building, possibly an earlier church. To the south of the church, a long stone building may have been the remains of the west range of the cloister. It was divided into four rooms, one of which may have been a kitchen with a fireplace and drain, which was dated to the 15th century by a coin found in the wall foundation. Many fragments painted glass and lead window cames were found. Adjacent to this building were three burials, an oven and a kiln. See also NJ90NW0664 - watching brief at 12-26 Carmelite Street.
Last Update22/02/2019
Updated Bycpalmer
CompilerACU
Date of Compilation13/09/2017

Easting: 394136.081378465, Northing: 806082.831385118

Google Map for NJ90NW0006

National Grid Reference: NJ 9413 0608



Event Details

Event DateEvent TypeOASIS ID
1977 Watching-Brief
1994 Excavation
1981 Excavation
1986 Excavation

Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
FRIARIES CARMELITEA100
CHURCHES SITE OFB100
BURIALS  C100
FLOORS COBBLEDD100
POST-HOLES  E100
BUILDINGSSTONE-BUILT F100
CLOISTERS  G100
COINS  H100
GLASS PAINTEDI100
CAMESLEAD J100
OVENS  K100
KILNS  L100
POTTERY  M100