Aberdeen City HER - NJ90NW1030 - OLD RECORD OFFICE, ABERDEEN

Print site NJ90NW1030 Feedback on site NJ90NW1030

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ90NW1030
NameOLD RECORD OFFICE, ABERDEEN
NRHE Card No.NJ90NW1532
NRHE Numlink 178949
HES SM No.
HES LB No.
Site Form Documentary Record Only
Site Condition Destroyed
Details Site of Record Office. This building, which was demolished to make way for the salvation Army Citadel, was completed in 1779 at public expense. It was designed to act as the central repository for public records from both the town and county of Aberdeen, that were under the charge of the Sheriff Clerk. The costs of the building were met by public funds but a proportion came from a public subscription. The ground floor contained four apartments: one of these was occupied by the Sheriff Clerk as a public office. The others acted as the store rooms for the records he was charged with keeping. The second floor held a public hall which was used as a meeting place for the gentlemen of the county, the justices of the peace (who also used it as a court room for the small debt court) and by the advocates of the Society of Advocates (who also kept their library there). Kennedy described the building in distinctly unflattering terms in 1818. He wrote: `It is a plain building, devoid of ornament, and very ill constructed.nor is it adapted to the purpose for which it was originally designed, being damp, and deprived of a proper current of air; and the interior walls have been very superficially plastered, without lath. The consequence has been, that many valuable papers, deposited in it by the sheriff clerk, are spoiled and in a perishing condition' .
Last Update20/04/2018
Updated Bycpalmer
CompilerACU
Date of Compilation13/09/2017

Easting: 394547.55, Northing: 806390.014

Google Map for NJ90NW1030

National Grid Reference: NJ 9454 0639



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types