Aberdeen City HER - NJ90NW1226 - 26-38 UNION STREET, ABERDEEN

Print site NJ90NW1226 Feedback on site NJ90NW1226

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ90NW1226
Name26-38 UNION STREET, ABERDEEN
NRHE Card No.NJ90NW1423
NRHE Numlink 174670
HES SM No.
HES LB No. 50959
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Offices and shops, latterly Esslemont and Macintosh's department store, designed by Ellis and Wilson, comprising two buildings linked by a third storey corridor over St Catherine's Wynd. E and M's was founded in 1873 by Peter Esslemont, a Lord Provost of the City and it originally traded from premises on Broad Street. Nos. 26-30 Union Street were originally built as offices for the Aberdeen Daily Free Press which amalgamated with the Aberdeen Journal in 1924 at which time the property was sold to Esslemont. Nos. 32-38 Union Street was the premises of Sangster and Henderson, drapers and house furnishers, who went out of business in 1926, and Esslemont and MacIntosh moved into the property. See NJ90NW1225 for watching brief at Nos. 32-28. Nos 26-30 is in Classical style, 4-storey with attic, Nos. 32-39 is Freestyle, using a variety of architectural detailing, a style which was a popular architectural style for commercial buildings at the end of the 19th century.
Last Update09/02/2018
Updated Bycpalmer
CompilerACU
Date of Compilation13/09/2017

Easting: 394302.646691361, Northing: 806309.342340295

Google Map for NJ90NW1226

National Grid Reference: NJ 9430 0630



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types