Aberdeenshire SMR - NO67SE0008 - FETTERCAIRN CROSS

Print site NO67SE0008 Feedback on site NO67SE0008

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNO67SE0008
NameFETTERCAIRN CROSS
NRHE Card No.NO67SE8
NRHE Numlink 36123
HES SM No.
HES LB No. 6755
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Market cross. The octagonal shaft, which is probably from the original 1504 cross and is older than the capital, stands on top of a five-stepped pedestal. It is capped by a capital featuring a series of sundials, the initials 'EIM' and the date '1670' (probably made for Fettercairn in 1670). Fettercairn was granted a licence to hold markets and erect a cross in 1504, and this was renewed in a grant to the Earl of Middleton in 1670. The popular belief is that shaft is part of Old Kincardine market cross and that it was removed to Fettercairn in 1730, but no record exists of this. The remains of jougs are attached to the cross.
Last Update14/08/2017
Updated Bynackerman
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 365053.159, Northing: 773544.795

Google Map for NO67SE0008

National Grid Reference: NO 6505 7354



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
CROSSESMARKET A100
PEDESTALS STEPPEDB100
SHAFTSOCTAGONAL C100
SUNDIALS DATEDD100
CAPITALS  E100
JOUGS REMAINS OFF100