Angus SMR - NO75NW0062 - MONTROSE MUSEUM

Print site NO75NW0062 Feedback on site NO75NW0062

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNO75NW0062
NameMONTROSE MUSEUM
NRHE Card No.NO75NW62
NRHE Numlink 36278
HES SM No.
HES LB No. 38197
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Museum, still in use, built in 1841 to the design of John Henderson. It was completed on 5th of May 1841 and opened in 1842 as The Museum of The Natural History and Antiquarian Society. It is one of the first purpose-built museums in Scotland. There was a library added in 1888 to the design of J Sim. It is shown on the 1st edition OS map as a rectangular building within a garden enclosure. On the 2nd edition OS map, the 1888 addition is shown filling the enclosure to the west of the museum building. Current maps show the garden enclosure has been extended to the west. It is a distinctive neo-classical two-storey block, with a three-bay entrance front, constructed of fine channelled sandstone ashlar to the front, squared and snecked to rear, with raised and architraved margins. There are windows with corniced heads and geometrical glazing, panels with key-patterns, pilasters to the wall ends and a cornice to the parapet. The grey slate roof is piended. There is a central Ionic portico in antis in the east entrance elevation. The doorway has a corniced head, with ‘MUSEUM’ in guilded lettering beneath the cornice. There is a full-width frieze with key-pattern in the upper band. There parapet has four dies and a raised section to the centre with panels and a cornice. The library is advanced to the west of the north elevation, and has an Ionic portico in antis, with a pilastered doorway and rectangular fanlight. The flanking bays are pilastered with full-height banded rustication, and a pilastered window to the ground floor. There is a full-width frieze with a key-pattern in the upper band and a parapet with four dies. The advanced library section to the west of the south elevation has a parapet with corner dies. The library section was never fully completed, as can be seen by the west elevation being a blank brick wall with a raised stone wallhead. There is a low coped ashlar boundary wall to the south, east and north, with square-section corner piers and gate piers to the east, supporting a wrought-iron gate with geometrical and key patterns. There are cast-iron railings to the north-west, enclosing the extended garden. Part of the stone balustrade of Montrose Suspension Bridge (1828 - 1928) is erected in the garden. Inside the museum, the main exhibition hall has a galleried first floor with a diamond patterned cast-iron balustrade. The boarded walls have plaster panels with decorative louvres and cornices above a dado at the first floor. The ceiling is barrel-vaulted, with rooflights in panels. The extension to the west is approached by a flight of stairs leading to a round-arched entrance. This library extension has been converted to offices and an exhibition hall, and features cast-iron columns as roof supports and decorative cornices.
Last Update31/01/2017
Updated Bynackerman
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 371622.240680407, Northing: 757716.281920297

Google Map for NO75NW0062

National Grid Reference: NO 7162 5771



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
MUSEUMS NEO-CLASSICALA100
FRONTAGESASHLAR B100
MARGINSRAISEDARCHITRAVEDC100
PANELS KEY-PATTERND100
PILASTERS  E100
PARAPETS CORNICEDF100
ROOFSSLATEPIENDEDG100
PORTICOS IONICH100
DOORWAYS CORNICEDI100
FRIEZES KEY-PATTERNJ100
LIBRARIES  K100
DOORWAYS PILASTEREDL100
BAYS PILASTEREDM100
WALLSBOUNDARY N100
WALLSASHLARCOPEDO100
PIERSCORNER P100
GATESWROUGHT-IRON Q100
RAILINGSCAST-IRON R100
HALLS GALLERIEDS100
BALUSTERSCAST-IRON T100
PANELSPLASTER U100
LOUVRES DECORATIVEV100
CORNICES  W100
DADOS  X100
CEILINGS BARREL-VAULTEDY100
ENTRANCES ROUND-ARCHEDZ100
OFFICES  AA100
COLUMNSCAST-IRON AB100