Moray HER - NJ13NE0004 - BALLINDALLOCH CASTLE

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ13NE0004
NameBALLINDALLOCH CASTLE
NMRS Card No.NJ13NE4
NMRS Numlink16007
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Ballindalloch Castle is a fortified towerhouse, which is an unusual variant on the Z-plan towerhouse. In the late 15th century, a medieval castle burnt down close to the site (NJ13NE0005), and the present building was built shortly after. It dates to circa 1546 by John Grant and his wife Barbara Gordon, and remained in the same condition until 1717. Ballindalloch remained the property of the Grant family until the death of General William Grant in 1806, when the estate passed to George MacPherson of Invereshie, and later Sir George MacPherson-Grant. Two new wings were added to the North and South in 1770. 2nd Baronet, Sir John Macpherson-Grant, commissioned Thomas Mackenzie to alter and remodel castle in 1850. In 1859, the courtyard and surrounding wings were built, and a further nine rooms were added in 1878. It was restored in 1967. Various datestones are incorporated outside and inside the castle, and the watch tower is dated 1602. The exterior is harled, with tooled and polished ashlar and granite dressings and margins. The original entrance to the castle from the North is flanked by two 18th century wings, dating to 1718 and later. It was re-cast to the South in 1850 by Thomas Mackenzie of Elgin. An imposing doorpiece in the base of the South tower is decorated with strapwork, text, armorial and monogram, and is dated 1546 and 1850. The further additions and re-modelling that took place in 1850 include the East wing and service court, with an arched East entrance. A corbelled square cap houses to original tower house, with slender stair turrets within re-entrant angles. There are 19th century gabled dormers, with decorative detailing and monograms, and bartizans with slated conical roofs and apex finials. Mainly 12-pane glazing is used. There is a coped wallhead and ridge stacks and Banffshire slate roofs. Inside, there is a vaulted entrance hall that was re-modelled in 1850. Richly decorated ribs spring from the central column, and there is a painted ashlar baronial chimneypiece. A wide oak staircase opens off the hall, with turned and carved balusters, and there is a further turnpike staircase in the 1602 tower. The former first floor hall was entirely re-decorated in 1850 in a consciously historicist manner, with panelled walls, doors and window shutters. There is nail-head detailing to window embrasures and doorpieces, ornate strapwork and a pendant plaster ceiling. A marble chimneypiece has flanking caryatids, coat of arms and a monogram. The panelled library has a carved chimneypiece with a marble surround. It sits within a 17th and 18th century designed landscape. Within this landscape is situated the Grant mausoleum (NJ13NE0097), a bothy and walled garden (NJ13NE0099), cottages (NJ13NE0094), a dovecot (NJ13NE0011), stables and cartsheds (NJ13NE0093) and lodges. The Bridge of Avon (NJ13NE0017), opened in 1800, leads to the South Lodge (NJ13NE0101).
Last Update14/02/2025

National Grid Reference: NJ 1804 3659


Easting: 318480, Northing: 836110

Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact


Ecofact

Samples 
Palynology 
Ecofact Notes 

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
DATESTONES  P100
DRESSINGSASHLARTOOLEDQ100
DRESSINGSGRANITEPOLISHEDR100
MARGINSASHLARTOOLEDS100
MARGINSGRANITEPOLISHEDT100
DOORPIECESSTRAPWORKMONOGRAMMEDU100
DOORPIECESARMORIAL V100
FINIALS APEXW100
STACKSWALLHEADCOPEDX100
STACKSRIDGE Y100
ROOFSSLATE Z100
COAT-OF-ARMS  AA100
MONOGRAMS  AB100
MAUSOLEUMS  AC100
LODGES  AD100
CASTLES SITE OFAE100
CASTLES Z-PLANA100
TOWERHOUSES  B100
PANELSARMORIALDATEDC100
STAIRCASESCIRCULAR D100
TOWERSWATCH E100
STAIRCASESTURNPIKE F100
ENTRANCESHALLVAULTEDG100
CHIMNEYPIECESBARONIALPAINTEDH100
MANSIONS CASTELLATEDI100
LANDSCAPES DESIGNEDJ100
WINGS CROW-STEPPEDK100
DORMERS GABLEDL100
TURRETSSTAIR M100
TURRETSROOFCONICALN100
BARTIZANS  O100

Google Map for NJ13NE0004


National Status

National Status
Listed Building, Category A

Regional Status

Regional Status
Site of Regional Significance

Photo Details

SourceReferencePhoto TypeFilm TypeDate
AASGR/00/CT106-118 Ground Colour Transparency 19/04/2000

Bibliographic Detail

Bib Ref NoTitleAuthorDateOthersEditorPublishedDetailsDate MDate Y
01410CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND VOL2T MACGIBBON1887Y EDINBURGH61,149 1887
02456MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBEDJ WATSON1868Y  48-51 1868
02265BLDS OF ARCH & HIST INTEREST 0   10, 2-3  
01558THE NORTHERN SCOT     02/08/8081980
01558THE NORTHERN SCOT     20/09/198091980
01412MORAY: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDEC MCKEAN1987N EDINBURGH162 1997

Location

Historic Administrative Area Name Inveravon
Positional Accuracy Centred at
Buffer Zone 20+m
Buffer Type Bespoke
Capture Scale Unknown
Spatial Feature Type Polygon: Known Site Extent

Environment

Constraints Privately owned, access by arrangement - easy access.
Altitude140
Geology 
Topography Terrace
Aspect 1SW
Aspect 2
Current Land Use Residential
Vegetation
Soil Type 
Hydrology 

Measurements

Plan 
Shape 1
Shape 2
Diameter 
Length 
Width 
Thickness 
Depth 
Area 
Height 

Historic Land Use


Period Details

PeriodOrderProbabilityRadiocarbon DatesDate BuiltDate of DestructionDate of Loss
Medieval (1100 - 1560 AD) A100    
Post-Medieval (from 1560 AD) B100    
17th Century D100    
16th Century C100    
18th Century E100    
19th Century F100    
20th Century H100    
Modern (1900 - 2050) I100    

Period Notes

Period Notes Built in circa 1542, and remained in the same condition until 1717; doocot 1696; 17-18th century designed landscape; stair tower added c.1718; two new wings added to the north and south 1770; stables and lodge at Levit Bridge 1847; restoration and courtyard and surrounding wings were built 1847-59; further additions to house and lodge built 1850; alterations and additions and south wing added 1875; stables built and nine rooms added in 1878; restored in 1967; watch tower is dated 1602; alterations 1926.

Architect Details

Architect Details Original Z-plan core probably by John Grant and Barbara Gordon. J Brodie and Sons, Elgin responsible for some plasterwork. Mackenzie & Matthews, architectural practice 1847 and 1850; Alexander Ross, architect 1875 and 1878; A & W Reid, architectural practice c.1875; George Bennett Mitchell, architect 1926.

Maritime Archaeology

empty