Details |
Mansion house, still in use, set within a designed landscape (NJ51NE0080). The original section is dated 1745, and there have been later additions and alterations. An 1831 datestone possibly dates additions and internal reconstruction by John Smith, although the later additions have since been removed again. The original section is a small-scale, two-storey and basement building. It has a seven-window ashlar frontage with the centre three advanced with a pediment, and there is a platformed piend roof. There is an entrance hall staircase with Doric columns at the entrance hall, and Ionic column screens to either side. The 19th century additions that are now removed were a Roman-Doric, four-column portico with a balustraded balcony over at the first floor that has one-window pedimented frontages with anta order, and a single-storey north wing with four proto-Doric (abacus only) columns.
|