Aberdeenshire HER - NO29NE0001 - ABERGELDIE CASTLE

Print site NO29NE0001 Feedback on site NO29NE0001

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNO29NE0001
NameABERGELDIE CASTLE
NRHE Card No.NO29NE1
NRHE Numlink 31138
HES SM No.
HES LB No. 3005
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Castle, in residential use, dating from circa 1550, of pink harled granite rubble. The plan and architectural detail point to a mid 16th century date and analogies with the Castle of Balfluig at Alford (1556) suggest design by the same man. It is said that the castle was moated but no remains of it exist. The castle contains four storeys with vaulted basement with gun-loops. The original part consists of a tall tower-house with a round flat roofed stair tower at its southwest corner corbelled out to square cap house at top which opens out to viewing platform with iron railing. Early 19th century additions include an ogee roofed belfry in the stair tower (added by the Gordons in the early nineteenth century, having seen examples in Italy), a Venetian window to the south elevation and an arched granite doorway to the ground. The main tower has rounded angles and crow-stepped gables with a corbelled tower diagonally opposite to the stair tower. Underneath the foot of the stair is a small -pit- or prison. The arched door is in the re-entrant angle of the main building. A long low building was added in the 18th century. Now fully restored to its original state. Internally the ground floor is vaulted with a large fireplace (c.20m), with great hall and further rooms above. There are also traces still of the 17th to 19th century designed landscape around the building. This includes a game larder, a single storey square structure of harled granite rubble with pyramidal roof and bell cast eaves: on the east side is a 2-leaf timber door and long slit windows with mesh coverings to all sides. The castle has been in the possession of the Gordon family since 1482. It was leased to the Royal Family from 1848 - 1970 and was greatly extended by James Henderson in the nineteenth century and subsequently during the years of royal occupation. Early twentieth century photographs of the castle show a sequence of buildings to the W. All of these additions were removed in the 1969 to leave only the tower house. A local legend suggests that Katy Rankin, tried as a witch, was kept chained up here in the pit dungeon below the stairs before being hanged on the nearby hill. To the west of the castle is a detached row of cottages, single storey with attic, the attic storey breaking the wallhead, and with predominantly gabled dormers with skew putts. A single storey square building with pyramidal slated roof and bell cast eaves is identified as a game larder, though may be a dairy. Boundary walls of the castle are of granite rubble with plan coping. There is a lodge to the east (NO29NE0069).
Last Update06/05/2021
Updated Bycpalmer
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 328720.094369359, Northing: 795240.72516561

Google Map for NO29NE0001

National Grid Reference: NO 2872 9524



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
LARDERSGAME R100
WALLSBOUNDARY T100
DAIRIES  S70
CASTLES  A100
TOWERHOUSES  B100
TOWERSROUND C100
TURRETS CORBELLEDD100
ANGLES ROUNDEDE100
GABLES CROW-STEPPEDF100
CAP-HOUSES HEXAGONALG100
BALUSTERSIRON H100
CELLARS VAULTEDI100
HALLS VAULTEDJ100
GUN-LOOPS  K100
PRISONS  L100
SKEWPUTTSCURVED M100
ARCHESSQUINCH N100
STAIRCASESNEWEL O100
CLOSETSMURAL P100
LANDSCAPES DESIGNEDQ100