Moray SMR - NJ11NE0084 - TOMINTOUL

Print site NJ11NE0084 Feedback on site NJ11NE0084

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ11NE0084
NameTOMINTOUL
NRHE Card No.NJ11NE37
NRHE Numlink 107409
HES SM No.
HES LB No.
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Tomintoul, located on the Crown Estate of Glenlivet, was planned and built in 1776 by the 4th Duke of Gordon to provide a focus for the several sizeable communities that lay scattered in the remote hinterland. The location of the town took advantage of the military road built in 1754 from Braemar over the Lecht. The plan can still be seen today in the wide main street (c. 40ft wide) and central square. The Main Street is lined with stone or harled cottages, some c.1810. Other features include the 1826 Telford designed Church, a Catholic Chapel, the Richmond Arms and Gordon Arms, and Richmond Hall. The flax and linen industry which was intended to support the inhabitants never succeeded, while a general decline occurred in surrounding parts following the settlement of the town. The oldest house in the village is probably that on the southeast corner of the square.
Last Update11/08/2015
Updated Bycpalmer
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 316948.534772799, Northing: 818776.782077619

Google Map for NJ11NE0084

National Grid Reference: NJ 1694 1877



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types