Moray SMR - NJ26SW0273 - DUKE OF GORDON MONUMENT, LADYHILL, ELGIN

Print site NJ26SW0273 Feedback on site NJ26SW0273

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ26SW0273
NameDUKE OF GORDON MONUMENT, LADYHILL, ELGIN
NRHE Card No.NJ26SW119
NRHE Numlink 193860
HES SM No.
HES LB No. 30775
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Monument to the Duke of Gordon, erected on top of the site of Elgin Castle (NJ26SW0007) in 1839. Designed by architect William Burn, Edinburgh, the Roman Doric column rises to 80 feet (24.4 metres), and is topped by a statue of the Duke of Gordon in his robes as Chancellor of Marischal College, Aberdeen. The statue, designed by Alexander Handyside Ritchie and carved by local sculptor, Thomas Goodwillie, was added in 1854-5 following a bequest by Alexander Craig of Craigton, and members of the Morayshire Farmers Club. The monument sits on a stepped plinth, and is enclosed by cast-iron spearhead railings with iron stiffeners. The attached plaque records that the monument was erected by public subscription in memory of George the 5th (and last) Duke of Gordon, who died in 1836.
Last Update16/08/2017
Updated Bynackerman
CompilerCH
Date of Compilation28/08/2013

Easting: 321162.799, Northing: 862809.624

Google Map for NJ26SW0273

National Grid Reference: NJ 2116 6280



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
PLINTHS STEPPEDD100
RAILINGSCAST-IRONSPEARHEADEDE100
MONUMENTS COMMEMORATIVEA100
COLUMNS DORICB100
STATUES  C100