Moray SMR - NH95NE0002 - RODNEY'S STONE, BRODIE CASTLE

Print site NH95NE0002 Feedback on site NH95NE0002

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNH95NE0002
NameRODNEY'S STONE, BRODIE CASTLE
NRHE Card No.NH95NE3
NRHE Numlink 15529
HES SM No. 1226
HES LB No.
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Class II Pictish symbol stone, of grey sandstone, discovered in the late 18th Century during excavations for the foundation of the new parish church at Dyke. The front bears a cross with interlacing, with other less distinct symbols in the four cut-out quadrants surrounding the cross. The reverse bears two fish monsters with an elephant and a double-disc and Z-rod below them. All of the symbols are in relief. There is an Ogham inscription, the longest such inscription known in Scotland, on the side angles. The cross is badly weathered. The stone is likely to date to from the 8th Century AD, and was removed to its current location in the the early 19th Century. A programme of 3-D scanning of the stone was undertaken in 2010 by Deri Jones Associates (for NTS) to aid with condition monitoring.
Last Update25/08/2017
Updated Bynackerman
Compiler 
Date of Compilation14/07/1977

Easting: 298425.885, Northing: 857666.966

Google Map for NH95NE0002

National Grid Reference: NH 9842 5766



Event Details

Event DateEvent TypeOASIS ID
2010 Survey

Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
STONES PICTISHA100
OGHAMS INSCRIBEDC100
SYMBOLS FISHD100
SYMBOLS BEASTE100
SYMBOLSDOUBLE-DISCZ-RODF100
SYMBOLS BEASTG100
CROSS-SLABSSANDSTONEINTERLACEDH100
STONES PICTISH III100