Aberdeenshire HER - NO77NW0018 - ST PALLADIUS'S CHAPEL, AUCHENBLAE

Print site NO77NW0018 Feedback on site NO77NW0018

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNO77NW0018
NameST PALLADIUS'S CHAPEL, AUCHENBLAE
NRHE Card No.NO77NW3
NRHE Numlink 36456
HES SM No. 9723
HES LB No.
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Incomplete
Details Remains of medieval church/chapel dedicated to St Palladius, and Class II Pictish cross-slab ('The Fordoun Stone'). The present building, partly a restoration, is a plain, 1-storey building of red sandstone whose roof was removed c.1928. The E gable is probably the oldest part dating to the close of the 15th Century. An aumbrey in the N door dates from the first half of the 17th Century. The chapel is mentioned in the records of the Priory of St Andrews for the 12th Century, but only as a chapel. It was dedicated as a church in the 13th Century by Bishop David. A recess at the E end of the chapel was traditionally a shrine for holding the bones of St Palladius but it was more probably a recess tomb. In front of this recess is the Glenfarquhar or Falconers Vault, and in the NW corner of the chapel is the Monboddo burial place. When the pulpit of St Palladius’s Chapel was being dismantled in 1787, workmen found a Class II Pictish cross-slab which had been used as base of the pulpit (now in the Parish Church NO77NW0103). It is an upright of red sandstone, sculptured partly with incised lines and partly low relief, inscribed in Hibero-Saxon minuscules 'PIDARNOIN'. It bears a cross with interlaced-work of Stafford knots and part of a fish-monster on the top arm of the cross with a horseman on the bottom arm. It also bears two other horsemen in a hunting scene and a double disc and Z-rod, the discs being ornamented with spiral work. This cross-slab was said to have been raised to commemorate the death of Kenneth III in 994 AD. Two cup-marked stones are built into the N wall. One has 5 cupmarks, 4 of which are linked into pairs by channels. They are partly obscured by gravestones. A drystone well at NO 7261 7833 is probably on the site of St Palladius's well. The medieval settlement of Fordoun, burgh of barony in 1554, was probably situated in the vicinity of the chapel. The chapel stands within the churchyard of the present church (NO77NW0103).
Last Update25/04/2018
Updated Bycherbert
Compiler 
Date of Compilation28/09/1993

Easting: 372616.389716787, Northing: 778417.655830824

Google Map for NO77NW0018

National Grid Reference: NO 7261 7841



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
CHAPELS SITE OFK100
CHAPELS REMAINS OFM100
SHRINES SITE OFL95
TOMBS RECESSEDN95
STONESCUP & RING A100
CROSS-SLABS PICTISH IIB100
SYMBOLSDOUBLE-DISCZ-RODC100
SYMBOLS FISH-MONSTERD100
SYMBOLS HORSEMANE100
SYMBOLS HOUNDF100
SYMBOLSSPIRAL G100
SYMBOLS INTERLACEDH100
SYMBOLSKNOTWORK I100
INSCRIPTIONS  J100
PISCINAS  O100
AUMBRIES  P100
GRAVEYARDS  Q100