Aberdeenshire HER - NO77NW0103 - AUCHENBLAE PARISH CHURCH

Print site NO77NW0103 Feedback on site NO77NW0103

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNO77NW0103
NameAUCHENBLAE PARISH CHURCH
NRHE Card No.NO77NW93
NRHE Numlink 168406
HES SM No.
HES LB No. 10691
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Parish church, also known as Fordoun Parish Church, designed by John Smith 1827-9, The church is large, rectangular in plan, of neo-perpendicular style with Gothic detailing, with a tall (30m high) tower at the west gable. It is built of red sandstone rubble blocks with ashlar surrounds, mouldings and buttresses, with a slate roof. The tower is of three stages with stepped diagonal buttresses, arcaded parapet, and centre and angle crocketed pinnacles. It has a 4-centre arch doorpiece at the lowest stage, traceried windows with hood-moulded clock faces over them at the second stage, tall 4 centre arched belfry openings with wood Y- tracery and ogee hoodmould top and transomed 4-centre arched windows with Y tracery. North and south elevations of the church are of five bays which are divided by tall three-stage buttresses with pinnacles. Each bay has a large pointed arch traceried window with clear glass. The east elevation has a single large round wheel window with stained glass, with a small quatrefoil window in the gablehead. A walled burial enclosure is attached to the gable. The interior has a horseshoe gallery. The church grounds are surrounded by original wall, railings and a gateway with piers, all built by the church architect John Smith, 1829. The church was built on an historic site associated with Christianity for centuries and the large surrounding graveyard contains the ruined St Palladius Chapel (NO77NW0018). The churchyard includes many hundreds of upright tombstones of which a high proportion are in High Victoria style. It also includes a memorial stone to the Protestant martyr Wishart. A Class II Pictish cross slab, known as the 'Fordoun Stone' (NO77NW0018), was discovered when the pulpit of St Palladius' Chapel was being dismantled in 1787 (NO77NW0018). Now housed inside the present church. A marriage stone, inscribed 'WR AR 1684', was reported lying to the left of the church entrance in May 2022, after being recently found in the close vicinity, the exact find spot is not known. The marriage stone has been removed (June 2022) and is in care of the Aberdeenshire Council Museums Service.
Last Update25/08/2022
Updated Byjnicholson
CompilerCP
Date of Compilation25/06/2014

Google Map for NO77NW0103

National Grid Reference: NO 7260 7844



Event Details

Event DateEvent TypeOASIS ID
2022 Field Observation

Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Date MDate YArtefact TypeFinderRecovery MethodConditionStorage LocationAccess No.
62022 MARRIAGE STONE PUB Stray Find Complete - Good Condition Aberdeenshire Museum Service  

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
STONESMARRIAGEINSCRIBEDJ100
CHURCHESPARISH A100
CHURCHYARDS  B100
GRAVEYARDS  C100
ENCLOSURESBURIAL D100
TOWERSCHURCH E100
CROSS-SLABS PICTISH IIF100
GATEPIERS  G100
GATES  H100
RAILINGS  I100