Moray HER - NJ13NE0004 - BALLINDALLOCH CASTLE

Print site NJ13NE0004 Feedback on site NJ13NE0004

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ13NE0004
NameBALLINDALLOCH CASTLE
NRHE Card No.NJ13NE4
NRHE Numlink 16007
HES SM No.
HES LB No. 8449
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Ballindalloch Castle is a fortified towerhouse, which is an unusual variant on the Z-plan towerhouse. In the late 15th century, a medieval castle burnt down close to the site (NJ13NE0005), and the present building was built shortly after. It dates to circa 1546 by John Grant and his wife Barbara Gordon, and remained in the same condition until 1717. Ballindalloch remained the property of the Grant family until the death of General William Grant in 1806, when the estate passed to George MacPherson of Invereshie, and later Sir George MacPherson-Grant. Two new wings were added to the North and South in 1770. 2nd Baronet, Sir John Macpherson-Grant, commissioned Thomas Mackenzie to alter and remodel castle in 1850. In 1859, the courtyard and surrounding wings were built, and a further nine rooms were added in 1878. It was restored in 1967. Various datestones are incorporated outside and inside the castle, and the watch tower is dated 1602. The exterior is harled, with tooled and polished ashlar and granite dressings and margins. The original entrance to the castle from the North is flanked by two 18th century wings, dating to 1718 and later. It was re-cast to the South in 1850 by Thomas Mackenzie of Elgin. An imposing doorpiece in the base of the South tower is decorated with strapwork, text, armorial and monogram, and is dated 1546 and 1850. The further additions and re-modelling that took place in 1850 include the East wing and service court, with an arched East entrance. A corbelled square cap houses to original tower house, with slender stair turrets within re-entrant angles. There are 19th century gabled dormers, with decorative detailing and monograms, and bartizans with slated conical roofs and apex finials. Mainly 12-pane glazing is used. There is a coped wallhead and ridge stacks and Banffshire slate roofs. Inside, there is a vaulted entrance hall that was re-modelled in 1850. Richly decorated ribs spring from the central column, and there is a painted ashlar baronial chimneypiece. A wide oak staircase opens off the hall, with turned and carved balusters, and there is a further turnpike staircase in the 1602 tower. The former 1st floor hall was entirely re-decorated in 1850 in a consciously historicist manner, with panelled walls, doors and window shutters. There is nail-head detailing to window embrasures and doorpieces, ornate strapwork and a pendant plaster ceiling. A marble chimneypiece has flanking caryatids, coat of arms and a monogram. The panelled library has a carved chimneypiece with a marble surround. It sits within a 17th and 18th century designed landscape. Within this landscape is situated the Grant mausoleum (NJ13NE0097), a bothy and walled garden (NJ13NE0099), cottages (NJ13NE0094), a dovecot (NJ13NE0011), stables and cartsheds (NJ13NE0093) and lodges. The Bridge of Avon (NJ13NE0017), opened in 1800, leads to the South Lodge (NJ13NE0101).
Last Update13/12/2018
Updated Bynackerman
Compiler 
Date of Compilation 

Easting: 318042.932079385, Northing: 836598.688798137

Google Map for NJ13NE0004

National Grid Reference: NJ 1804 3659



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
CASTLES Z-PLANA100
TOWERHOUSES  B100
PANELSARMORIALDATEDC100
STAIRCASESCIRCULAR D100
TOWERSWATCH E100
STAIRCASESTURNPIKE F100
ENTRANCESHALLVAULTEDG100
CHIMNEYPIECESBARONIALPAINTEDH100
MANSIONS CASTELLATEDI100
LANDSCAPES DESIGNEDJ100
WINGS CROW-STEPPEDK100
DORMERS GABLEDL100
TURRETSSTAIR M100
TURRETSROOFCONICALN100
BARTIZANS  O100
DATESTONES  P100
DRESSINGSASHLARTOOLEDQ100
DRESSINGSGRANITEPOLISHEDR100
MARGINSASHLARTOOLEDS100
MARGINSGRANITEPOLISHEDT100
DOORPIECESSTRAPWORKMONOGRAMMEDU100
DOORPIECESARMORIAL V100
FINIALS APEXW100
STACKSWALLHEADCOPEDX100
STACKSRIDGE Y100
ROOFSSLATE Z100
COAT-OF-ARMS  AA100
MONOGRAMS  AB100
MAUSOLEUMS  AC100
LODGES  AD100
12