Aberdeenshire HER - NJ94NE0039 - PITFOUR

Print site NJ94NE0039 Feedback on site NJ94NE0039

Main Details

Primary ReferenceNJ94NE0039
NamePITFOUR
NRHE Card No.NJ94NE67
NRHE Numlink 77048
HES SM No.
HES LB No.
Site Form Standing Structure
Site Condition Complete 2
Details Designed landscape, estate, site of mansion house and possible site of manor. This may have been the site of Manor Place of Pitfour. The estate came in to the possession of the Ferguson family in the early 18th Century. The original estate was enlarged by the acquisition of land at Inverugie, formerly owned by the Earl Marischal. The 'improving' Fergusons subsequently built one of the most magnificent mansions in the north-east designed by John Smith, with landscaped surrounding policies. The finished product was one of the show-pieces of Buchan. The earlier mansion house may have been an addition to the former manor or built on the site of the manor. The conservatory gallery was carried on Ionic columns with a protruding studio on Corinthian columns, which was added along the entire front of the house. When the house was demolished, the studio and gallery were removed to Kinloch House, near St Fergus (NK05SE0102). Although the house was demolished in 1927-30 and the grounds have suffered much from timber felling, the lake and its surrounding buildings still have great landscape and architectural value. All buildings associated with the house are group listed B because of this. To the north of the house lay gasometers, the laundry with an ice-house to the rear (NJ94NE0139), stables (NJ94NE0160) and a riding school. To the west were the kennels and pheasantry. There were also sawmills at NJ9627 4930 with a lade leading from the west to it. To the west of the stable block is the remains of a game larder (NJ94NE0039). Other features include Bruxie Lodge (NJ94NE0123), West Lodge (NJ94NE0122), East Lodge (NJ94NE0163), South Lodge (NJ94NE0143), South Lodge gatepiers and memorial tablet (NJ94NE0147), South East Bridge (NJ94NE0156), North East Bridge (NJ94NE0162), North West Bridge (NJ94NE0129), Kennels Cottage (NJ94NE0130), a boathouse folly (NJ94NE0131) and Shepherd's Lodge (at NJ 9705 5045). A watching brief was carried out in 2016 (NJ94NE0165). The memorial tablet at South Lodge is dedicated to William Pitt the younger and Henry Dundas, Viscount Melville, erected by James Ferguson, 3rd laird of Pitfour. James Ferguson FRSE (25 May 1735 - 6 September 1820) was the 3rd Laird of Pitfour, and was MP for Banffshire from 1789 - 1790, and MP for Aberdeenshire from 1790 until his death in 1820. He was the rector at Aberdeen University from 1794 - 96, and was responsible for the founding of the planned village of Mintlaw (in 1813) and the expansion of Longside (in 1801). His brother, Major Patrick Ferguson, was the designer of the Ferguson Rifle (in 1770), one of the first breech-loading rifles to be put into service by the British military (in use from 1776 - 78). 
Last Update04/11/2021
Updated Bycherbert
CompilerNQB
Date of Compilation 

Google Map for NJ94NE0039

National Grid Reference: NJ 9676 4939



Event Details


Excavations and Surveys


Artefact and Ecofact

Ecofact

Samples
Palynology
Ecofact Notes

Monument Types

Monument Type 1Monument Type 2Monument Type 3OrderProbability
MANORS SITE OFA90
MANSIONS SITE OFB100
CONSERVATORIES SITE OFC100
BALUSTERS SITE OFD100
COLUMNS CORINTHIANE100
COLUMNS IONICF100
LAKES  G100
STABLES  H100
SCHOOLSRIDINGSITE OFI100
LAUNDRIES SITE OFJ100
KENNELS  K100
GASOMETERS SITE OFL100
PHEASANTRIES SITE OFM100
SAWMILLS SITE OFN100
LADESMILL O100
LODGES  P100
LANDSCAPES DESIGNEDQ100
ICE-HOUSES REMAINS OFR100
LARDERSGAMEREMAINS OFR100